ABOUT John Shooshan
John Shooshan is a co-founder of Kodiak Realty Services, along with Mr. Martin Schnider. As a result of the re-development of the Liberty Center North mixed-use development from 2004-2007, John and Martin decided to merge the Shooshan Company management staff with the Fred Schnider Investment Group management staff, forming Kodiak to manage their key real estate investments as partners.
In 2008, Joh led the Shooshan Company to complete the Liberty Center North project, a 1 million square foot, mixed-use project consisting of office, residential and retail space. Today, the Shooshan Company in the completion of the Liberty Center development; Liberty Center South, a 5.35 acre mixed-use project, consists of about 1.2 million SF of density among a significant two acre open park space in the heart of Ballston. In addition, under John’s leadership the Shooshan Company recently won Arlington County Board approval for the redevelopment of Marymount University’s Ballston campus, which will deliver in the summer or 2017.
John founded the Shooshan Company in 1986. Previously, he served as Mid-Atlantic Regional Partner for Faison & Associates, Inc., Vice President of Development for Cadillac Fairview Urban Development, Inc., now known as Brandywine Properties. John began his career at the Oliver Carr Company, which became Carr America, where he was the Director of Marketing and Leasing. In these capacities, he gained extensive experience in development, financing, property management and acquisitions.
By far, John’s proudest achievement is his family. He and his wife Marcia have been happily married for 40 years and have two children and two grandchildren. Their daughter Kelly serves as the Chief Operating Officer of the Shooshan Company, and son Kevin is the Director of Leasing and Marketing. Both attended Georgetown University and have followed in their parent’s footsteps in multiple ways, including their dedication to the family business, community involvement and charity work.
- Bachelor of Science from the University of Delaware.
In the Community
- George Mason University Arlington Advisory Board Member, 2011 – Present.
- Arlington Community Foundation – Board of Trustees, 2009 – Present.
- Co-chair of the Arlington Leadership Consortium of the 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness with Arlington County Board Member Walter Tejada, 2008 – Present.
- Member of Lambda Alpha, the Honorary Society for the Advancement of Land Economics, 2008 – Present.
- Member of the John Carroll Society, 1996 – Present.
- Member of the Urban Land Institute, 1987 – Present.
- Urban Land Institute Washington District Council Executive Committee member, 2001 – 2002.
- Landon School Trustee, 1995 – 2001.
- Former Ballston Partnership President.
- Former Ballston-Virginia Square Partnership Board Member.
- Honored by the Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) with the 2012 APAH Affordable Housing Award for his determination to end homelessness in Arlington.
- Honored with the Outstanding Philanthropist Award by the Association of Fundraising Professionals at the 2013 National Capital Philanthropy Day.
< Back to view all Next Profile >